- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed well
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- ½-1 tsp salt
Instructions for dhal
- Place lentils, ginger and cinnamon in a large saucepan with 3 cups of cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring to prevent sticking for 10-12 minutes. Discard spices and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, and cook for a further minute or until fragrant. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
- Add the lentils to the pan and mix well. Cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in coriander and serve hot.
Instructions for Basmati rice:
- Place 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of cold water in a pan.
- Bring to boil and then lower the heat to minimum, cover and cook for 20 minutes.