I have a special place in my heart for bounty bars.
When I grew up in Ukraine, there was absolutely no awareness about eating sugar and my family used to have a box of this coconut chocolate candy in the kitchen. Bounty reminds me of childhood the way apple pie or chocolate chip cookies reminds other people of theirs.
I wanted to make a healthy vegan version of the Bounty candy! Here’s how to make it.
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ can of coconut liquid
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted into liquid on low fire)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- sprinkle of Atlantic salt
- 6 tbsp date or maple syrup (optional: replace each tbsp with a drop of stevia extract)
- 8 tbsp of good-quality cocoa powder (raw and natural is best)
- Mix the coconut flakes and liquid. Roll into bars and place in freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Melt coconut oil and mix the rest of the ingredients.
- Dip the coconut bars in chocolate, place on a rack and place in the freezer. Don’t place on a plate because it will cause one side of the bar to not be covered with chocolate.
- Keep in freezer and take out 15 minutes before serving.
Happy clean eating!