- It’s healthy. Basically, you are drinking your probiotics and having a tasty drink at the same time.
- It’s tasty and bubbly. Replace soda with kombucha!
- It curbs cravings! Try it - the drink has carbs thus takes care of carb cravings, but its sugar is processed into a healthier version.
Kids love kombucha as well. It’s a great way to get them to consume good nutrients and probiotics.
Benefits of kombucha:
- Aid digestion
- Detox, especially for liver
- Prevents arthritis
- Boosts immune system (rich in anti-oxidants)
How to make it - very simple!
1. Get the SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria and Yeast) - slimy pancake that makes the tea - from the store or from a friend. Make sure to get it along with ¼ cup of its liquid, at least.
2. The process:
You will need a large glass jar and a cloth or a paper towel to cover it.
Ingredients to add to SCOBY
- 3 quarts/liters water
- 1 cup sugar (regular granulated sugar works best)
- 1 cup of strained tea from 8 bags of any tea tea or 3 tablespoons loose tea
- Brew tea in 1 cup of water & strain.
- Add cold water to the tea (don’t pour hot tea on the SCOBY).
- Add the liquid to the SCOBY jar.
- Place it in a dark cool area, such as inside a kitchen cabinet.
- Wait 7 days and check the taste. It should be slightly fizzy, taste sweet yet fermented.
- Use a strainer and a funnel and pour it into bottles.
- If you want it to be more fizzy, shut the bottles tightly leaving some space empty inside. Wait for 2-3 days and then your carbonated kombucha is ready!
After a while your SCOBY will get fat and will be ready to "give birth" to little SCOBYs. You can separate the layers and place the little SCOBY into its separate jar with a bit of its mommy's liquid. The little SCOBY will make an awesome gift to someone you care about.
Happy clean eating!